I have always loveeeeeeeeeee seafood & was in the mood for a prawn dish the other day...Unfortunately, due to my tight schedules between baking cupcakes, doing the house chores & others, I didn't have much time to cook up an elaborate 'cheffy' prawn dish :-P
While dreaming away on foodies ( owh!! how I love doing this!! ), my mind suddenly remembered the excellent prawn dish which I had in Singapore the last time I was there...It was my first time trying the 'Cereal Prawn' & how I loved it! Unfortunately, I can't find a restaurant in Kuala Lumpur that serves a good 'Cereal Prawn' ( psst! let me know if you know a place that serves a good one )....I mean, there are places that serves this but the one I had in Singapore trumps it all! Just thinking about it makes me drool :-P
With my mouth salivating & my tummy growling, I finally decided to cook my own version of 'Cereal Prawn'...After all it's quite expensive for me to buy a flight ticket to Singapore just to have it there :-P A quick 'stock check' through my refrigerator & pantry, and a quick phone call to my Mate a.k.a Rozie ( I always call her when I'm excited to do new dishes & needed some pointers. Thanks Mate! ), here's the result :-)
My Quick Meal Of The Day - Yong Chow Fried Rice ( With Prawn Of Course! ) :-P
My version may not be as good as the one I had in Singapore but still yummy ;-) Thought I'll share the recipe - in case any one of you'll have those 'super duper' busy moments like I did ;-)
CEREAL @ NESTUM PRAWN
- 10 medium sized prawns - you can also use large sized prawn
- 6 cili padi ( bird's eye chili ), sliced - add more if you like your dish spicy
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped - put less if you don't want the strong garlic taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 egg yolks, beat lightly
- 6 tablespoons cereal @ nestum - I like my cereals, so I've put tonnes of it ;-)
- Cooking oil - just enough to deep fry the prawns
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt & sugar to taste
- Heat oil in a wok. Once oil is hot, put in the prawn & deep fry it till cooked. Note : Please do not fry your prawn too long as this will harden the prawn's flesh.
- Once prawn is cooked, remove it from wok & place it on a plate lined with cooking tissue. ( this is to drain the oil from the prawn ).
- In the same wok, add in the butter on medium fire. Add in the garlic, cili padi & curry leaves. Saute till fragrant.
- Add in the egg yolks. Note : At this stage, make sure your wok is hot. While adding in the yolks into the wok, beat it vigorously with chopsticks @ fork. This is so that you'll get tiny pieces of egg yolks & NOT a lumpy omelet-looking ones.
- Add in the fried prawns & cereals.
- Add sugar & salt to your taste ( I like to add in a few dash of peppers ).
- Stir well for a few minutes & move it from the fire.
- Serve hot with rice.